Thursday, November 20, 2008

What I Believe (Part 1)

I don't know how often I'm going to post this series, but I am going to try to post a set of statements that describe what (and why) I believe as I do...

I believe in limited government.

Not no government. Limited government.

The Government has certain functions it must do. More that it may (and probably should) do. But many more that it should not do.

Now I know lots of people that say this, but don't seem to understand what constitues an appropriate limitiation, or why.

I believe that the government should be limited to those things that are tracable to this:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.


As examples, proper funding of the Department of Defense is required by "provide for the common defense".

Environmental law is allowed under "promote the general Welfare", but since keeping businesses in business also "promotes the general Welfare", there is a tension that should keep both in balance.

On the other hand, a law that would, for example, require radio stations to provide time for talk for any specific point of view (i.e., "fairness doctrine"), can not be traced to any clause and must be resisted.

That's the first thing that I believe.

1 comment:

K T Cat said...

Have you read any P J O'Rourke? he's a humorist, but I think you'd really like him.

Parliament of Whores
is where you might want to start.