Tuesday, September 30, 2008

So What's Martian for "Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow"?

The geek in me has to come out from time to time. Here's a peek...

Today it was reported that a laser sensor has detected snow in the atmosphere of Mars.

Who cares, in the big picture, about the stock market? Sometimes it goes up, sometimes it goes down. Long ago I got this advice, "only invest the money you can afford to lose". I live by that. So who cares which way it goes.

The housing market. If you bought a house to live in it, who cares how much it's worth? Make your payments and snuggle warm and tight in your bed. If my house value goes to zero, so what?

But, Snow on Mars??? That's something that excites me. It makes absolutely no difference in the here and now. It's way more important than that. It tells us something about the universe and how it really works. It tells us that water is everywhere. Water, the solvent of life, is everywhere. If water is everywhere, will not life be also?

I sleep well knowing that when we humans finally shuffle away, as all species do, the universe will keep on living, long, long, long from now.

1 comment:

Dean said...

Nice perspective.