Sunday, March 16, 2008

Happy and Getting Happier Everyday?

An interesting article. It starts by saying that how happy each of is, is about half determined by our genes.

Hard to believe.

But what seemed even more interesting to me is that they claim each of us goes through a happiness "U". We start happy as kids and get sadder as we age until about age 44 where we start to happy back up. They claim it doesn't seem to be kid related.

The best explanation seems to be that as you age you get unhappy about not being able to fulfill your ambitions, and then (around 44) you come to grips with it, and start getting happier as you come to like who you are.

I think this is the first thing I ever heard that actually makes me happy to be past 44, but then, maybe it is just that I am past 44.

No comments: