Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I'm Proud of My Country

It seems that Mrs. Obama has just finally become proud of her country. Funny, I've been proud for a long time.

I have been proud of my country every time we have a peaceful change of Presidency.

I have been proud of my country every time I go to vote.

I have been proud of my country every time I get called for Jury Duty.

I was proud of my country first when a bunch of regular American's fought back on Flight 93, then when we all found strength and healing together after 9/11.

I was proud of my country when the Berlin Wall fell after almost 50 years of opposition by Democrats and Republicans alike.

I was proud of my country the night I stayed up late and watched a flickering black-and-white image of fellow Ohioan Neil Armstrong walk on the moon.

I was proud of my country when a woman ran for Vice President in 1984.

I was proud of my country when Jesse Jackson ran for the Democratic nomination in that same year.

and I am proud of my country every time I see our young men and women putting their lives on the line, on soil far away, in the cause of providing Liberty to men, women, and children they've never met.

So, Mrs. Obama, with all due respect, if you are just now, finally, proud of your country, all I can say is, you have not been paying attention.

No comments: