Wednesday, February 27, 2008

William F. Buckley - RIP

William F Buckley - conservative and intellectual has passed on. People far more influential and knowledgeable than I will do the proper eulogies, but I wanted to put this down as a memorial.

Way back I heard Buckley once say "I'd rather be governed by 100 people chosen at random out of the phone book, than Congress". It is one of those things that's stayed with me.

Why? Because it's part of one of my pet peeves about our whole system. We have amateur juries and professional politicians. Somehow that seems backwards to me.

Now don't get me wrong, there are lots of things about our system that I love, but the actual people that govern us, are not part of that list. I suspect that the typical politician is more interested in power or lining their pockets than really serving the people. I've often said that politicians really only care about two things: getting elected and getting re-elected.

Maybe if there was some randomness in the electoral process we could find legislators that care about the future and the people.

No comments: